Wednesday 21 August 2019

Ode to a Vegetable

What's an Ode?
An ode is a very old form of poetry. In ancient Greece, poets wrote odes to celebrate heroes, nations, ideas and nature. These days odes are more informal and are often funny. They can be any length, and rhymed or not. The ode is a poem of praise (a bit like a love letter!), addressed to a person, place, object or an idea.

We hope you enjoy the odes written during the writing workshop with author Belinda O'Keefe. Look out for the juicy language, alliteration, rhyme and similes.



Ode to a Lemon
by Hollie, age 10

Oh! You sweet sour glorious lemon.
When I rest I think of your zest.
I love the sourness and tastiness.
You’re as bright as the sun, my hun.
When people’s faces squirt
I take as an alert
there’s someone that does not like lemon
to them it must be venom.
I love it when I see you be put on my family’s fish
it has to be their absolute favourite dish.
Never fear lemon's here!


Ode to Corn
by Adrianna P, age 10

I love how your skin is like a yellow giraffe
your smooth soft texture drives me crazy.
Your taste is sweet and juicy

I love it when my Dad
puts you in hot water
and deep fries you!

I also like it when he puts you on my plate
then I eat you and feel
warm as an oven.

I love you, corn!


Ode to a Purple Kumara
by Ava

Oh! glorious kumara
your skin is like a fresh purple grape
you have a couple of roots
that look like your hair
you smell like an asteroid from outer space
you look like a purple little mouse
that always gets stuck in a house

I can mash you, roast you, and even burn you
we can grate you, hate you or even rate you
your texture is like a bumpy pink petal
floating down through the air

Do you like kumara?
Can you compare?
Because I like kumara and hopefully you like kumara too
So listen loud and clear
Please eat your vegetables, kumara and never fear
because kumara is here


Ode to Potato
by Hugo

Oh potato, you have spots on you
like the moon.

You’re as yellow as the sun,
spots as grey as stone.

You’re eaten mashed, fried,
but don’t forget fries.

On Thanksgiving you’d be perfect
with turkey.


Ode to a Cucumber
by William B

Oh! You beautiful vegetable
Your skin is as rough as the bark on a tree
You’re dark green, but light on the inside
It reminds me of the bright leaves in summer
Your crunch is as loud as the leaves in winter
the knife glides through you
like a soft loud or cotton candy
and as I take a bite
the only sound you hear is CRUNCH!


Ode to a Potato
Riley M

Oh! You luscious potato
You’re yellow as the sun on a cloudless day
Your thin skin
is as scarred as a stuntman

the mud is as brown as tree bark
dotted on you like a kid that fell
over in the field

Fried, roasted, baked, pretty much anything
I can eat you with everything I want

You taste like seasoned heaven
or flavoured life


Ode to a Pumpkin
by Payton, age 9yrs
The smooth sensation, the roundness of a soccer ball
oh how heavy
very heavy as a weight,
all the seeds, the bright orange
as bright as a light
oh the strong smell when it’s cooked.

But the smell, oh how revolting
as yuck as a pair of socks

BUT the awesome carvings
at Halloween
Oh! Oh!
How extravagant!


Oh Yam!
by Sophie E, age 9yrs

Oh! Yam!
Your skin feels like a bumpy book of bible verses
Your dark red colour looks like blood
Your silent way you lay there
makes me wonder
if you will ever move
(even with a hint of magic).
Are you best mashed? Boiled? Roasted?
I can’t wait to try!

Ode to a Cabbage
by Sophie H. age 10

Oh! Cabbage, your wrinkles in your skin
are like an old piece of scrunched paper.
You’re as soft as a moth
as crunchy as a cracker.
You’re as heavy as a brick
you’re as green as a bean.
Are you best cooked fried, baked, heated
or fresh from the bag?



No comments:

Post a Comment