Monday 28 August 2023

Poems to Spain!

Here are some of our poems we sent to Spain for the Given Words Poetry Competition. Our poems could be on any theme, but had to include the five given words: broken, path, paint, reflection, disappear.



School Crazy


At school, 

my pencil disappeared

I broke my book

I stepped in dog poo on the path

I painted my rubber

my reflection broke the mirror


Hopefully, 

I don't have a day like this tomorrow 


by Bridget I. (age 8, year 3)



Dear Grandma


It was sad when when we needed to leave your sight 

and disappear from sri lanka


I look at my reflection 

the spark in my hazel-brown eyes

and I think about you


Now I feel like the path to you 

has broken


I really wish that you can stay in new zealand 

forever and do fun stuff like painting


by Tenushki R. Age 7



Memories


I go every night to the broken mirror

in the attic

so I can remember my great grandpa

and how he chose the right path

in life


I look at my reflection

illusions surround me

memories of his stories in his diary

of his life at war

make my tears drop


I lock the memories up

so they do not disappear

otherwise

they will fade away

into the misty dust

and evaporate

into the depths of the soil

that slowly digests 

into a gloomy sludge, like paint


by Ammar S. (age 9, year 5)



Sidhu Moose Wala


Dear Sidhu


I feel so broken without you

on reflection

you just disappeared


walking down the path

I see spray painted pictures of you 

everywhere


it’s just not the same

without you.


by Javahn B. (age 10, year 5)



Rainy Day


The paint on the path

started to disappear

as the rain 

dropped from a cloudy, misty sky


I saw my reflection

in the puddle

and the longer I stared


it seemed like

it was broken


by Meera S. (age 10, year 6)



Memory


I was at a blue river

the water 

reflecting

on my broken sunglasses


I took them off

heart broken


my mum had

disappeared


I remembered 

my mum

on a path

paint trickling down her top

she was painting a

beautiful picture

of me and my dad


Anna Foley, (age 7, year 2)



Broken Reflections


I sit and listen 

to the sounds of the waves

as they calmly crawl up the sand

while I watch the sun disappear


a broken reflection

in the endless sea


the sunset paints 

an autumn colour in the sky

orange beams shoot from above

creating a path

to nowhere.


by Laylah B. (age: 12, year 7)



Paint a New Path


I stare blankly at my younger self

as the reflection fades away


Back then

I was afraid of people disappearing

around me


As I try to paint a new path

I tell myself I shall fix

my broken heart


by Chris P. (age: 12, Year 7)



Painting a Picture


I was at the beach 

playing tag 

with my reflection


suddenly, the clouds disappeared

leaving the sky, blue as the ocean 

showing a path.


As I walked down the path 

it broke behind me.


It led me 

to my younger self, 

painting a picture 

then the path fully faded

 

fell 

into the void of darkness.


by Isiah C-P. (year 7 age 12)



Dear Bank Account,


Hope you have recovered 

from my big purchase of lollies. 


Now I can’t even afford 

to pay my rent. 

All my money has disappeared.


Now my heart is broken.

I’m on a path to homelessness.


I’m in the bathroom 

with its paint peeling from the wall

looking at my downcast reflection in the mirror

rethinking my life’s decisions.


Lots of love,

from the Money Sucker.


by Ashton A. (Age 11, Year 7)



Hey Dad,


Sometimes, I wish I had your skills:

being able to paint well;

walking straight tall and proud on the path;

able to make problems disappear;

and never breaking dreams.

I wish I was a reflection of you-

that would be awesome.


by Jimmy K. (age 13, year 8)



My Sandcastle


On the side of my sandcastle

I place little pieces of broken seashells

as small as a newborn baby's palm.


The painted path is small chips

I stole from my sister's lunch.


On the top of my castle is

my mum’s small makeup mirror 

in which I can see my dripping wet reflection.


But then in comes the mighty tide

causing my beautiful sandcastle 

to  disappear under the wild waves 

never to be seen again


Soon after I can hear my mum ask,

“Have you seen my mirror?”


By Emily H. (Age 12 Year 7)



Brokenhearted


Brokenhearted,

I trudge along a crimson painted path

Suddenly I stop at a river

and see your reflection next to me.


Then I remember, 

the warm sand in between my toes

sitting next to you by the fire 

sipping out of antique mugs

the memories rush through my mind 

like crashing waves


Eventually they calm down

my thoughts all sink and disappear

deep into my mind

I look next to me

you’re gone

My heart breaks


By Adeleyn W.  (Age 11 , Year 7)



Waiting for the Turtles


My hands disappear into the cold sand,

I look at the ocean


The reflection of the blue moon 

paints a broken path 

across the water


I feel as cold as the waves


Max B. (Age 11, Year 7)



Dreamful Paradise


At the beach, I find

broken conch shells buried in the sand,

my blurry reflection in the water as the tide comes in,

it disappears


just then before my very eyes a path magically appears,

it is covered in paint and old and mossy

And then I wake up

 

By Ayla B. (Age 11 Year 7)



Broken Dreams


As my dreams started to 

disappear 

my heart felt 

broken like glass


I tried to paint a picture 

to lead a path for my dreams. 


I looked in the mirror  and I 

saw a reflection of

me

and I wished my dreams 

would come true! 


By Agrima K. (AGE 8, YEAR 4)



hawaii


the ocean is like

a cool, blue paint


my reflection 

appears in the waves


broken seashells

litter the ground


a soft-shell crab disappears

into the sand


a pebble path 

leads me home


by Joel R. (Year 8)






No comments:

Post a Comment