Friday 14 August 2020

Top Outdoor Spot 2020 | 2nd Place

 

Oliver Peters | 2nd Place
Top Outdoor Spot 2020 (despite the misprint on the certificate!)

Last term, our writers composed poems for the Top Outdoor Spot Competition, run by the New Zealand Walking Access Commission | Ara Hīkoi Aotearoa. Their writing celebrated favourite outdoor locations around Aotearoa. Three of our students were shortlisted in the competition:

Bryn Devonald | Rapaki Track
Rani Sharma | Wanaka
Oliver Peters | Okains Bay

Year 4 student Oliver Peters was awarded second place overall, which was an outstanding achievement, considering the competition was open to students in years 4 to 8 throughout New Zealand.

Oliver received his prize today, courtesy of the NZ Walking Access Commission and Kiwi Camping. Congratulations Oliver!


Okains Bay

As we drive to our very special place,
playing car cricket, doing lots of arguing
my palms are sweating, ears toasting
I put my head out the window and feel the fresh breeze

We drive into the campground and find the perfect spot,
pitch our tent in the finest of sand,
under the shade of a huge Tōtara.

I slip on my jandals, with a rubbery touch,
run to the lagoon, dashing across spiky stones,
slowly followed by my parents and brothers,
we dash to the ocean’s edge.

The water is cold and creamy,
its waves have a lovely curl,
it moves so quickly like a wild pig being chased by ferocious owners.

The lagoon makes a cold splash when I jump in,
dive bombing from a nearby ledge,
my toes and fingers old and numb,
I safely swim to the shore.

The adults are playing cricket,
up on the beach 
the ball rolls through the air with speed, hit by Uncle Fred
and lands in the sea, fetched by other children.

Sweeping over rocks, the tide is like a prowling cat,
pulling away sticks, stones and driftwood,
we’re heading for the shore.

We take a break from swimming,
and walk along a large track on the hills,
hidden behind harakeke and wind grass

Okains Bay is home to pīwakawaka, kererū and kingfisher,
chasing each other around the dense pine forest,
it contains memories I will never forget,
camping, rafting, nature walks,
with my friends and family.

As we pack up our tent, barbeque and boogie boards
I reflect on our wonderful time in this amazing bay,
even though we are all sunburnt, worn out and covered in mosquito bites,
I will never forget this mind blowing place!


Oliver Peters | Year 4 | age 9yrs


No comments:

Post a Comment