Friday 21 August 2020

Unleash the Power of Poetry

Enjoy these poems from our Russley Writers... inspired by Apirana Taylor's poem, Haka.

Here is Apirana Taylor's poem...




Laughing 

When I hear laughter
I feel it in my veins 
and in my heart 
it spreads like a song 
it makes my smile grow
it is the yodel of a young girl
the grin of a mischievous pixie
a bag of peppermints
and the joy of life
it is the crisp of leaves
hee hee hee

By Madeleine Hicks | 13yrs | Year 8


Rain in the Night | Sienna Burgess | 12 years | Year 8

when i hear rain in the night
i feel the pitter patter sing me off to sleep
the rhythm tapping into my bones.
breaking the deadly silence
making the endless skies pour with emotion
it is the lullaby of the sky 
the song of the owl
and musicall of the darkness
it is a puddle maker
a mood shaker
pitter patter pitter patter on and on



Forest Wind | By Abby Brown | 12yrs | Year 8 

when i hear the wind 
i feel it in my stomach
and my lungs
the song of the trees
flutters through the woods
it makes my toes curl
and my shoulders tense
it is the dancing of the leaves
the forest breathing
and the birds voice
it is sky's calling
WWWHOOOOOSSSSSHHHH



Whooshing wind | by Morgan Campbell | age 9yrs | Year 5


When I hear the rushing wind
Smack my bedroom wall
I feel it  down my spine
the cold breeze hits me
through my open window

It makes me shiver and shake
I hide my head under my covers
It is a screeching laughing owl
a sneaky thief
and a smooth flute
It is a spooky spirit
shhh shhh shhh


Rain Falling | by Millie Sutton | Awa Nui

When I hear... the rain falling from the sky
I feel it...rushing down my body
It makes...a shiver down my spine

It is needles and nails
and Lego clicking together
It is tinfoil crackling

Click click click clap
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh



When I hear the soccer ball crashing | by Annabelle Kang | Team Roto

When I hear the soccer ball crashing
into my mums makeup
I feel my heart beat faster
 than sprinting in cross country
It makes my lips clutch together
it is my mum wagging her finger
and a dinner without dessert
It is the end of my precious young life
KKKKKKKKKLLLLLLLAAAAAAANNNNNNEEEERRRRRAAAAAAANNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


When I hear the Sound of a Rumbling Car | by Finn Beedie | Team Roto


When I hear the sound of a rumbling car engine 
my eyes light up
I feel it in veins
It makes my heart beat rapidly
It is so loud that I almost have a heart attack
It is a lion roaring
It is a heavy metal bands concert
It is godzilla stomping
 


CRACK! | by James De Wit | Team Roto

when i hear the crack of my mum’s vase
i feel goosebumps racing
up my body like cockroaches
it makes me crouch
ready to run
my muscles tense
my heart pumps  
it is no ipad time
and a stern telling off
it is a shaking fist
bechoooooooeeeeoo!



Gong | by Oliver Peters | Team Roto

when i hear the gong,
i feel it in my veins
it makes the hairs
on the back of my neck bristle
and my eyes flash
it is a rising, scaley cobra
it is war ending
it is a japanese warrior
and lightning flashing
Gooooooeeeeng


Earthquake! | by Samuel Li | Team Roto

when i hear the earthquake
i feel it in my nerves
it makes my mouth open
and my hands sweat
it is the crack of mountains
and the roads dividing
into a massive choco bar  
it is the water rising
it is a close call

drop, cover, hold!  


Here is a video from way back in 2014, when Russley School hosted a National Poetry Tour. We had some famous writers such as Paula Green, Bill Nagelkerke and Gavin Bishop join us... and some of our students performed some poems by NZ authors.

Go to 12.02 and watch our students perform their version of the poem Haka by Apirana Taylor. A very stirring performance!




No comments:

Post a Comment