Tuesday 15 September 2020

Inspired by Nature


 Ginko:  a Japanese word meaning a walk taken with the purpose of writing a haiku poem

Our walk around the Russley School grounds was great inspiration for some nature-themed poetry. We decided to write free-verse poems as an artistic expression of our response to our environment. We love free-verse poetry, as it gives us permission to break all the rules. We can choose the words, sounds, shape and form we want to convey our thoughts to the reader. We are not confined to following a particular pattern, syllable or word count or number of lines. We can make it up as we go along. We don't even have to use full stops or capital letters. Our line breaks and stanzas (verses) help the reader know when to pause and take a breath, like punctuation.

Look for the poetic language we've used to create vivid images; similes and metaphors, strong verbs, specific nouns and senses such as sound.


Nature poem 

 

Pastel yellow of a sunflower 

The freeze of the cold breeze

Roses bloom with joy 


Spiky thorns prick like needles 

Iceberg of fresh air whips my bare legs

Sky high trees sway like wind chimes 

 

Tiny ant runs on the slippery grass 

A nest balances on a thin branch 

I wonder 

why do birds chirp

chirp away?


  • By Morgan Campbell | age 9 yrs | year 5




I Wonder Why

 

In front of the library filled with books 

mysteries and adventures

a warning 

COVID-19 poster


the bare oak tree stretches its branches to reach the sky

soft breeze cools me down 

a flock of house sparrows chirp gracefully  

delicate flowers shine in the sun


and I wonder

why the sky 

is such a very bright blue?


  • By Mostafa Elnahas | 9 years old | year 5



Scribbles


Wind so shivering cold

I pull down my sleeves

until they cover my hands


The NZ flag flies awkwardly 

grasps the pole like a sail on a boat


A small rock in my shoe

pokes my foot hurting my heel 


A  fabulous fragile yellow nemesia

drops its petals


My red, sharp WARWICK pencil scribbles

adjectives and verbs


  • By Esme Stalker/10yrs/year 5




No comments:

Post a Comment