Tuesday 5 December 2023

Earth Poems for Paula Green

 Over the past few weeks our writers have been creating poems for Paula Green's Earth Poem Challenge. Paula received so many poems from students all over Aotearoa, and she said it was very difficult to pick just a few.

Congratulations to the following poets who have had their poems selected and published on Poetry Box and a special celebration for Bridget and Mason, who Paula has picked to send a copy of her poetry book to. Fabulous!


I Dreamt …

I dreamt I was moana
and I was clear and clean.

I dreamt I was a kiwi
and I was small, brown and soft.

I dreamt I was a clean stream
and no one threw plastic bags at me.

I dreamt I was an elephant
and no one hunted me.

I dreamt I was a forest
and no one cut down my trees.

I dreamt I made a picture
with flowers
for all to see.

Bridget I, age 8yrs, Te Parito Kōwhai Russley School


Pīwakawaka

as brown as cocoa pops

legs just like twigs
(really skinny)

wings move so fast
           you can’t see them

they hop
            and fly

their tail is just like a fan
            blowing on my face

Hollie B, age 8, Te Parito Kōwhai Russley School

My Mother

shiny, brown hair flows in the wind
her cold, ringed fingers grip my hand
and I shake, walking along the grey, bumpy path
her shoes glisten like crystals

her light blue nails shine in the soothing sun
her favourite red handbag sits beside her
on the seat of her grey car

Anna F, age 7, Te Parito Kōwhai Russley School


My Best Friend, Celia

Her soft, curly hair
pokes out of her head like springs.

She does amazing headstands, for ages.

Her smile lights up my face
with happiness.

Her favourite colours are the same as mine
black and blue.

Bridget, age 8, Te Parito Kōwhai Russley School


My Mother

Her long fingers glide
across the calculator
Her colourful scarves change
throughout the week

She cracks the egg
with one hand
and mixes it into the family recipe
orange cake that
lingers in your mouth
for days

Her help is in every corner
of the house
when you need it
Her kindness is
everlasting and
will last a lifetime

Moaz A, age 12, Year 7, Te Parito Kōwhai Russley School


Joshua

His sense of humour really gets me cracked up
his maths skills are divine

playing games with him is the best
his generosity is super nice

he has black, short hair
and usually wears a long sleeved t-shirt under his clothes

Joshua is a good friend
and trust me when I say that
he’s a good friend

Mason, age 9, Y 4, Te Parito Kōwhai Russley School


I Wish

I wish I was walking through a beautiful, healthy rainforest
I wish I was breathing fresh, cold air
I wish I was swimming through clear, flowing water
I wish I was wearing a crop top and shorts without anyone judging
I wish the world was a better place

Gemma C – age 11, Te Parito Kōwhai Russley School

No comments:

Post a Comment