Thursday 24 September 2020

Nature Poems

Enjoy these two beautiful poems from our Team Moana writers, inspired by a ginko (poetry walk) around our school grounds.



Slowing down time...


I inhale the sweet scent of jasmine,

the strong vanilla aroma of the ponderosa pines,

and the tangy smell of willow after a rainstorm


I glance up to see the sage green leaves 

of the fast growing poplar,

and twittering kākāriki perching on evergreens


Carefully, I listen for kākā,

but find only the raspy chatter of magpies

as they scramble across bewitching magenta


trailing the petals,

I find a lane of fuchsia cherry blossoms


A kōwhai,

symbol of power and authority,

looms overhead at the end of the lane,

sturdy and dominating


I gaze, 

dazed as the scarce monarch 

flits between cherry blossoms

apricot wings slowly unfurling 

as they rest on dew covered blossoms,

slowing down time


Akhila Sharma | Year 8



Aotearoa 


sky surrounds me like a cage

slowly consuming me

i am mesmerized by the silk-like clouds

with ripples like lake taupō on a summer day

to my left, is a sheet of imitating clouds

altocumulus?

waves of white cotton candy blocks out the burning sunlight


the sound of crunching pebbles 

and whistling leaves in the wind follows me like a shadow 

but as night falls, 

all shadows disappear

and the clouds dissolve into the dark abyss


By Jay Poole | Year 8

No comments:

Post a Comment