Monday 5 October 2020

Nature Activity Poems Published

 


Congratulations to these talented Russley writers, who have had their poems published on Poetry Box

Blake W | Wind
Sam L | Ginko Walk
James DW | Ginko
Anabelle K | extreme ginko walk
Mostafa | I Wonder Why
Esme | Scribbles


Paula Green's Poetry Box challenge was to write a nature poem, inspired by some of the activities in The Nature Activity Book, by Rachel Haydon and Pippa Keel. Paula invited students to explore nature, to listen and look, use their imagination, and take their time writing a poem.

She received hundreds of poems from all over NZ and said it was an exceptionally hard job choosing just a few. 

Paula said, "I loved reading your poems and I can tell you loved writing them. I especially loved the way you went outside and you listened and looked. What a terrific time the students at Russley School had slowing down in the world to look and listen."

"I loved the way some words stayed with me all day. I loved the way Esme ended her poem with a pencil scribbling!"

Paula Green chose Blake's poem, Wind, as one of her favourites and he will receive his own copy of the The Nature Activity Book. Congratulations, Blake!


I Wonder Why
 
In front of the library filled with books 
mysteries and adventures
a warning 
COVID-19 poster
the bare oak tree stretches its branches to reach the sky
soft breeze cools me down 
a flock of house sparrows chirp gracefully  
delicate flowers shine in the sun
and I wonder
why the sky 
is such a very bright blue?


- Mostafa Elnahas | 9 years old | year 5


Scribbles

Wind so shivering cold
I pull down my sleeves
until they cover my hands

The NZ flag flies awkwardly 
grasps the pole like a sail on a boat

A small rock in my shoe
pokes my foot hurting my heel 

A  fabulous fragile yellow nemesia
drops its petals

My red, sharp WARWICK pencil scribbles
adjectives and verbs

- Esme Stalker/10yrs/year 5


extreme ginko walk

rough white bricks on room 10
staying still like a statue in a museum

birds chirping like mad scientists
planning world domination
 
small brown twig  
tiny as a chopped grass root

puffy clouds swishing, swaying, 
moulding into indomitable dragons, chunky pigs,
silvery elephants prancing like circus pachyderms

- Annabelle Kang, age 8yrs


Ginko

Twig  nest crumbling
Greenfinch with ivory beak 
Soaring through the sky

Lonely gray stone not moving an inch
What is that yellow flower?

Fingertips skimming over the hopscotch
Tahi 
Rua
Toru

A white candyfloss palace
and whipped cream 
floating round the sky

Wha Rima
Ono
Whitu Waru 
 
I Listen to the Beach Boys booming from the hall
this is the best place ever

- James De Wit | Year 4


Ginko walk 

The airplane rumbles in the distance
like a teenager crunching into piles of pringles 

Grass sways in the wind 
like an old man waving at his best friend

Silky clouds reflect off my shirt 
like big blobs of paint beaming at me

Dead tickly shade leaves sunbathe 
under the burning hot sun


- Sam Li | age 8 | Year 4


Wind

I am the wind
I can blow your sandcastle down
I make the flag slither
like a snake

I can get your kite stuck
in a tree
I can make your hair go crazy

I can flip the pages of your book
I make sailboats bolt across the sea

In Autumn, I make leaf tornadoes

I sound like a stampede of elephants
I also sound like the waves
at the beach

I am a brachiosaurus burp
I am a peregrine falcon diving
but I can also be gentle
like a mouse

- Blake Weir | Year 3 | age 7yrs

No comments:

Post a Comment