Wednesday 25 September 2024

A Phantasmagoria of Poems

Enjoy these poems by our year 5 and 6 students, written for the Given Word Poetry challenge. Each poem had to contain the words: feather, whisper, time, eat, phantasmagoria.


Grandpa’s House

In the small house:
a phantasmagoria of feathers,
rocks, marbles and . . . 
a little whispering sound

I look around
but there is only a small mouse
eating a piece of cheese

Suddenly, 
I hear a laugh – 
By the time I turn
in the doorway 
stands Grandpa

He smiles 
and gives me a marble
with a rainbow inside

by Charlotte L.


Friendship

a noisy seagull flies over 
me and my friend
and drops a pink feather

we collect
a phantasmagoria of shells
shaped like animals and letters

‘Smores!’ my mum calls
time to eat

as we watch the sunset
we whisper quietly 
to each other
saying, ‘it’s pink like a flamingo’

we hear the ocean
splashing on the 
golden sand

by Phoebe I


My Pop’s Garage!

Spiderwebs surround the jars and roof
a phantasmagoria of stuff
an old car from 1939
rusted and broken
dusty furniture
rickety, antique

the garage door rattles
when opened or closed

feeling like I’m not alone 
the time ticks by . . . 

as I stumble over
I come to a book 
filled with unique feathers and
birds eating chips on the beach
a squeaky door with a rusty handle
a rusty, old bicycle with scratched paint
old crutches that I love to play on

and the wind whispers 
and bounces off the the roof

by Lily S.


Phantasmagoria Nightmares

In my room with my cat 
I hear the shadows whispering to me
I look at the time
I see it’s twelve o’clock
then I remember I haven't eaten my dinner

I clutch my dream catcher with its dove feathers
hoping that this nightmare would end
I hear scratching on the door
my doorknob creaks 
and the door opens 

I see two shadowy brown eyes
I blink twice
then a black cat jumps on my bed 
I fall off my bed and I wonder 
if it was reality or a phantasmagoria?

by Vinnie HL


The Phantasmagoria Box

a piglet with a spotted scarf
a little white pot
a mini book with a yellow dragon on the cover
a squishy globe 
a glass candy ornament with blue stripes

a grey shiny sticker, soft as a feather
a red paintbrush
a silver pirate ring with an eye patch
which whispers to me
a gold bell that rings – time to eat
a big black button with four holes
and a phantasmagoria of spiders

by Mila-Rose R.




No comments:

Post a Comment